By Philip C. Kolin
'The striking array of students accumulated during this assortment, all specialists within the box, learn the performs with nuance and situate them deftly inside of their cultural and old contexts. students of latest theater and drama and of African American literature will locate price during this enticing collection.' – Choice
'For scholars and students of yankee theatre and drama commonly and African American theatre and drama so much quite, this can be a very invaluable severe source.' – Harry Elam, Stanford collage, USA
In the last fifty years, American and international theatre has been challenged and enriched by way of the increase to prominence of various lady African American dramatists. Contemporary African American ladies Playwrights is the 1st serious quantity to discover the contexts and impacts of those writers, and their exploration of black heritage and identification via a wealth of numerous, brave and visionary dramas.
Kolin compiles a wealth of recent essays, comprising:
- Yale student David Krasner at the dramatic legacy of Lorraine Hansberry, Zora Neale Hurston, Marita Bonner and Georgia Douglas Johnson
- individual chapters dedicated to: Alice Childress, Sonia Sanchez, Adrienne Kennedy, Ntozake Shange, Pearl Cleage, Aishah Rahman, Glenda Dickerson, Anna Deavere Smith and Suzan Lori-Parks
- an essay and accompanying interview with Lynn Nottage
- comprehensive dialogue of attendant theatrical kinds, from choreopoems and surrealistic performs, to documentary theatre and civil rights dramas, and their use in tough racial and gender hierarchies.
Contributors: Brandi Wilkins Catanese, Soyica Diggs, James Fisher, Freda Scott Giles, Joan Wylie corridor, Philip C. Kolin, David Krasner, Sandra G. Shannon, Debby Thompson, Beth Turner and Jacqueline Wood.
Read or Download Contemporary African American Women Playwrights: A Casebook (Casebooks on Modern Dramatists) PDF
Similar united states drama & plays books
After six generations, the relatives property has been subdivided, the backyard has long gone wild, and the home has been carved right into a duplex. The McKinnons now continue to exist one part of the valuables, whereas the opposite has been offered to an immigrant kin from Turkey. either heirs obvious needs to research, now, to construct love within the desert in their lives.
In appearing Anti-Slavery, homosexual Gibson Cima reimagines the relationship among the self and the opposite inside activist functionality, supplying interesting new insights into women's nineteenth-century reform efforts, revising the heritage of abolition, and illuminating an affective repertoire that haunts either present-day theatrical levels and anti-trafficking enterprises.
Explores how a more youthful and extra delicate kind of masculinity emerged within the usa after international conflict II. within the a long time that global struggle II, americans sought for and infrequently founds symptoms of a brand new masculinity that was once more youthful, delicate, and sexually ambivalent. Male good looks examines the theater, movie, and magazines of the time as a way to light up how each recommend a model of male gendering that intentionally contrasted, and infrequently clashed with, earlier constructs.
StageSource’s New England New Play Alliance provides a various choice of 8 new performs from a few of New England’s top playwrights: Windowmen through Steven Barkhimer, beauty through Kirsten Greenidge, Hell through hearth, Hell through Ice through MJ Halberstadt, priceless Monsters via John Kuntz, changing into Cuba via Melinda Lopez, Priscilla goals the reply through Walt McGough, Easter on the Entrée Gold via John Minigan, and Saving Kitty by way of Marisa Smith.
- The Best Burlesque Sketches: As Adapted for Sugar Babies and Other Entertainments
- Fifth Generation Covenant
- Clyde Fitch and the American Theatre: An Olive in the Cocktail
- Olive, The Other Reindeer
- Seven Contemporary Plays from the Korean Diaspora in the Americas
- The Madwoman in the Volvo (Modern Plays)
Additional resources for Contemporary African American Women Playwrights: A Casebook (Casebooks on Modern Dramatists)