By Michael Krause
This informative and pleasing ebook offers a vast examine the interesting historical past of CERN, and the physicists operating in numerous components at CERN who have been energetic within the discovery of the Higgs Boson. Profound and well-structured, the contents mix today's interviews with the scientists of CERN, the world's greatest laboratory devoted to the pursuit of basic technology, with vital figures within the historical past of technology (e.g., Maxwell, Faraday, Einstein), and in addition provides loads of info at the background of quantum mechanics and the heritage of physics from its beginnings.
It is an easy-to-read publication on a fancy subject, offering a truly own perception into the personalities of best scientists and the historical past of technological know-how besides. This precious ebook will catch the curiosity of the curious reader, telling the tale of 1 of the best clinical endeavors ever.
- The historical past of CERN
- The Practitioner: Rolf-Dieter Heuer
- The starting of recent Physics: Galileo, Copernicus, and Kepler
- The Experimentalist: Tejinder S Virdee
- Dalton — Thomson — Rutherford — Bohr
- The guy Who outfitted The LHC: Lyn Evans
- Physics, song, and artwork: Tara Shears
- The Theorist: John Ellis
- Oersted — Ampère — Faraday — Maxwell
- The Communicator: Rolf Landua
- Albert Einstein (1879–1955)
- The jap method: Masaki Hori
- The Nobel Prize Laureate: Carlo Rubbia
- The American buddy: Sebastian White
- Friendly opponents: Sebastian White and Albert De Roeck
- Rock 'n' Roll, Beer, Billiards, and tune: Jonathan Butterworth
- The Higgs Boson — and Then?
- Non-technical, full-bodied e-book choked with details at the heritage of technological know-how and CERN that is celebrating its sixtieth anniversary in 2014
- Personal interviews with the scientists of CERN, who made the sensible discovery of the Higgs Boson attainable, which used to be expected by means of Peter Higgs et al., forty years ago
- The ebook paints the full photo of the mandatory capability, the expertise and the folk to make those discoveries possible
- It seems at CERN and the hunt for the Higgs boson from a truly own attitude. Going past technology and expertise, it offers a profound photo of technology and its influence on society in the beginning of the twenty first century and past. CERN and the LHC are moving into daily tradition, and this non-technical booklet indicates vital features of the effect of clinical study on our view of the world
Read or Download CERN : How We Found the Higgs Boson PDF
Similar nuclear physics books
Pixel detectors are a very vital classification of particle and radiation detection units. they've got an incredibly huge spectrum of functions, starting from high-energy physics to the photograph cameras of daily life. This booklet is a normal objective creation into the basic ideas of pixel detector know-how and semiconductor-based hybrid pixel units.
Describing complicated detectors and their visualization and research innovations, this publication offers the foremost purposes in nuclear and high-energy physics, astrophysics, drugs and radiation measurements.
Get First-Hand perception from a Contributor to the normal version of Particle PhysicsWritten via an award-winning former director-general of CERN and one of many world’s best specialists on particle physics, Electroweak Interactions explores the ideas that resulted in unification of the vulnerable and electromagnetic interactions.
Do you're keen on quantum physics, cosmology, and the humor in the back of the preferred tv convey the massive Bang concept? have you ever been looking for a enjoyable, non-technical rationalization of the technology at the back of such things as time shuttle, wormholes, antimatter, and darkish power? You’ll locate all of that, and extra, inside of this fact-filled, cartoon-packed ebook.
- Solution Precursor Plasma Spray System (SpringerBriefs in Materials)
- Foundations of Nuclear and Particle Physics
- The Manhattan Project: A Very Brief Introduction to the Physics of Nuclear Weapons (IOP Concise Physics)
- Transport Processes in Space Physics and Astrophysics: Volume 877 (Lecture Notes in Physics)
- Noncommutative Differential Geometry and Its Applications to Physics: Proceedings of the Workshop at Shonan, Japan, June 1999 (Mathematical Physics Studies)
- The Composite Nambu-Goldstone Higgs (Lecture Notes in Physics)
Additional resources for CERN : How We Found the Higgs Boson