By Gerald D. Mahan
Covering the basics in addition to many distinct themes of present curiosity, this is often the main concise, updated, and obtainable graduate-level textbook on quantum mechanics on hand. Written via Gerald Mahan, a distinctive study physicist and writer of an acclaimed textbook on many-particle physics, Quantum Mechanics in a Nutshell is the distillation of decades' instructing experience.
Emphasizing using quantum mechanics to explain genuine quantum structures comparable to atoms and solids, and wealthy with attention-grabbing purposes, the booklet proceeds from fixing for the homes of a unmarried particle in power; to fixing for 2 debris (the helium atom); to addressing many-particle structures. purposes contain electron gasoline, magnetism, and Bose-Einstein Condensation; examples are rigorously selected and labored; and every bankruptcy has various homework difficulties, lots of them original.
Quantum Mechanics in a Nutshell expertly addresses conventional and sleek themes, together with perturbation concept, WKBJ, variational tools, angular momentum, the Dirac equation, many-particle wave services, Casimir strength, and Bell's Theorem. And it treats many topics--such because the interactions among photons and electrons, scattering concept, and density practical theory--in unprecedented depth.
A necessary addition to the instructing literature, Quantum Mechanics in a Nutshell is supreme for a two-semester course.
- The such a lot concise, up to date, and available graduate textbook at the topic
- Contains the perfect volume of fabric for a two-semester path
- Focuses at the description of exact quantum structures, together with quite a number functions
- Covers conventional subject matters, in addition to these on the frontiers of analysis
- Treats in extraordinary aspect issues equivalent to photon-electron interplay, scattering idea, and density useful conception
- Includes a variety of homework difficulties on the finish of every bankruptcy