By Thomas C. Schelling
Read or Download Arms and Influence: With a New Preface and Afterword (The Henry L. Stimson Lectures Series) PDF
Best arms controls books
From certainly one of our best social thinkers, a compelling case for the removal of nuclear guns. in the course of his impeachment lawsuits, Richard Nixon boasted, "I can cross into my workplace and decide up the phone and in twenty-five mins seventy million humans could be useless. " Nixon was once properly describing not just his personal strength but additionally the facility of each American president within the nuclear age.
This ebook examines the customers and demanding situations of an international phase-out of hugely enriched uranium—and the dangers of this fabric another way getting used by means of terrorists to make atom bombs. Terrorist teams, corresponding to Al Qaeda, have verified again and again that they search to procure nuclear guns. Unbeknownst even to many defense experts, lots of bomb-grade uranium are trafficked legally every year for ostensibly peaceable reasons.
This e-book examines using innovations – in particular ‘weapons of mass destruction’ (WMD) – in US overseas coverage discourse. present research of WMD definition has made headway into deciding upon the repercussions that the conceptual conflation of such assorted guns – regularly understood as a connection with nuclear, organic and chemical guns – has for overseas safeguard.
This ebook analyses the Syria concern and the position of chemical guns relating to US international coverage. The Syrian government's use of such guns and their next removing has ruled the united states reaction to the clash, the place those are seen as relatively awful fingers - a repulsion referred to as the chemical taboo.
- Governing Military Technologies in the 21st Century: Ethics and Operations
- Reluctant Restraint: The Evolution of China's Nonproliferation Policies and Practices, 1980-2004 (Studies in Asian Security)
- Pakistan's Drift into Extremism: Allah, the Army, and America's War on Terror: Allah, the Army, and America's War on Terror
- Reykjavik Revisited: Steps Toward a World Free of Nuclear Weapons: Complete Report of 2007 Hoover Institution Conference (Hoover Institution Press Publication)
- Japan and the War on Terror: Military Force and Political Pressure in the US-Japanese Alliance (International Library of Security Studies)
- No Illusions: Regaining the Strategic Initiative with North Korea
Extra resources for Arms and Influence: With a New Preface and Afterword (The Henry L. Stimson Lectures Series)