By David Krasner
- Balances attention of canonical fabric with dialogue of works by way of formerly marginalized playwrights
- Includes reviews of major dramatists, akin to Tennessee Williams, Arthur Miller, Eugene O'Neill and Gertrude Stein
- Allows readers to make new hyperlinks among specific performs and playwrights
- Examines the routine that framed the century, akin to the Harlem Renaissance, lesbian and homosexual drama, and the solo performances of the Eighties and 1990s
- Situates American drama inside higher discussions approximately American rules and culture
Read Online or Download A Companion to Twentieth-Century American Drama (Blackwell Companions to Literature and Culture) PDF
Best united states drama & plays books
After six generations, the family members property has been subdivided, the backyard has long past wild, and the home has been carved right into a duplex. The McKinnons now live to tell the tale one part of the valuables, whereas the opposite has been offered to an immigrant relations from Turkey. either heirs obvious needs to examine, now, to construct love within the desolate tract in their lives.
In appearing Anti-Slavery, homosexual Gibson Cima reimagines the relationship among the self and the opposite inside activist functionality, supplying interesting new insights into women's nineteenth-century reform efforts, revising the background of abolition, and illuminating an affective repertoire that haunts either present-day theatrical levels and anti-trafficking firms.
Explores how a more youthful and extra delicate type of masculinity emerged within the usa after global conflict II. within the many years that international struggle II, americans looked for and infrequently founds symptoms of a brand new masculinity that used to be more youthful, delicate, and sexually ambivalent. Male good looks examines the theater, movie, and magazines of the time with a purpose to remove darkness from how every one recommend a model of male gendering that intentionally contrasted, and sometimes clashed with, past constructs.
StageSource’s New England New Play Alliance provides a various selection of 8 new performs from a few of New England’s top playwrights: Windowmen through Steven Barkhimer, elegance through Kirsten Greenidge, Hell by way of fireplace, Hell by way of Ice through MJ Halberstadt, worthwhile Monsters through John Kuntz, turning into Cuba by means of Melinda Lopez, Priscilla goals the reply via Walt McGough, Easter on the Entrée Gold by way of John Minigan, and Saving Kitty by means of Marisa Smith.
- The Collected Works of Paddy Chayefsky: The Television Plays: TV Plays
- They Killed My Son
- Edward Albee: A Literary Companion (McFarland Literary Companions)
- The Triple Goddess: Three Plays
Extra info for A Companion to Twentieth-Century American Drama (Blackwell Companions to Literature and Culture)