By Thomas K. Hubbard
A spouse to Greek and Roman Sexualities offers a finished choice of unique essays in relation to elements of gender and sexuality within the classical world.
- Views a number of the practices and discursive contexts of sexuality systematically and holistically
- Discusses Greece and Rome in each one bankruptcy, with sensitivity to the continuities and transformations among the 2 classical civilizations
- Addresses the classical impact at the realizing of later a long time and religion
- Covers creative and literary genres, a variety of social environments of sexual behavior, and the technical disciplines of drugs, magic, physiognomy, and dream interpretation
- Features contributions from greater than forty most sensible foreign scholars
Read or Download A Companion to Greek and Roman Sexualities (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World) PDF
Similar psychology of sexuality books
Everyone seems to be a part of a relatives, yet what constitutes a family members is among the such a lot hotly debated concerns within the usa at the present time. Battleground: The kin presents large insurance of these serious concerns in U. S. tradition relating present and destiny family members lifestyles, comparable to courting, marriage, parenting, paintings and relations, abuse, and divorce.
Prostitutes and Courtesans within the old international explores the results of sex-for-pay throughout a vast span of time, from historic Mesopotamia to the early Christian interval. In precedent days, even supposing they have been socially marginal, prostitutes hooked up with nearly each element of lifestyle. They sat in brothels and walked the streets; they paid taxes and manage dedications in non secular sanctuaries; they seemed as characters - occasionally admirable, occasionally despicable - at the comedian degree and within the legislation courts; they lived lavishly, consorting with well-known poets and politicians; they usually participated in in a different way all-male banquets and consuming events, the place they aroused jealousy between their fearful fans.
Let's accept it, say Barash and Lipton: men and women, girls and boys, women and men are assorted. to ensure, those modifications are frequently heightened by means of differences in studying, cultural culture, and social expectation, yet underpinning all of them is a basic distinction that derives from biology.
Patron Sexualities explores women’s stories of purchasing in ‘sex outlets’ and utilizing sexual commodities of their daily lives. This enlightening quantity indicates how girls take in sexual client ‘technologies of the self’ to paintings upon and comprehend themselves as convinced and lively sexual brokers in postfeminist neoliberal tradition.
- Sexuality and Serious Mental Illness (Chronic Mental Illness)
- Magic and Impotence in the Middle Ages
- Sexual Morality in Ancient Rome
- Scham in der schulischen Sexualaufklärung: Eine pädagogische Ethnographie des Gymnasialunterrichts (German Edition)
- Sex in Cyberspace: Men Who Pay For Sex
Extra resources for A Companion to Greek and Roman Sexualities (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World)